Rules & prizes
The Orchestra’s Conductor Competition was established and is managed by the not-for-profit Association Geros. The event is directed by Maestro Cristian Orosanu and its aim is to encourage the discovery of talented conductors.
This new competition concept will give the candidates the unique opportunity of being selected by the orchestra’s musicians and to be invited back to conduct their orchestra at a later date. There is no jury, except during the initial phase, and subsequently the president of the competition will merely guide proceedings, but will not take part in the vote.
Third edition: April 2024
In cooperation with the Oradea Philharmonic Orchestra, we present the third edition of the Orchestra’s Conductor Competition, which will be held in Oradea (Romania) from 26 April to 2nd May 2024. Candidates of all nationalities are invited to apply from 1 October 2023 until 15 January 2024. There is no age limit.
- Silvia Sbarciu, director of Cluj Philharmonic Orchestra (Romania)
- Akgün çavuş, director of Olten Philharmonic Orchestra (Turkey)
- Daniel Somogy, director of Debrecen Philharmonic Orchestra (Hungary)
- Vlad Mateescu, director of Ploiesti Philharmonic Orchestra (Romania)
- Szep Gyula, director of Hungarian Opera Cluj (Romania)
- Georgios Balatsinos, chief conductor of Sorbisches National-Ensemble (Germany)
- Christo Pavlov, director of Vratsa Symphony Orchestra (Bulgaria)
The winners of the last edition
- Pavle Zajcev - first prize
- Charles Latshaw- second prize
- Libi Lebel - third prize and special prize for the best female conductor
They will come back to Ploiesti in the next seasons, to conduct the musicians of the Philharmonic Orchestra, who have chosen the winners through a democratic vote.